Data Carpentry is a non-profit organization that develops teaching materials designed to teach fundamental concepts, skills and tools for working more effectively with data. Our workshop uses Data Carpentry lessons and is aimed at academic researchers in all fields and at all career stages. We will cover the following topics:
- Best practices for data management in spreadsheets
- Cleaning big, messy data in OpenRefine
- Manipulating and rearranging data in R with dplyr and tidyr
- Visualizing data in R with ggplot
- Reproducible research in R: loops, functions, and automatic reports with knitr and R markdown
- Introduction to data analysis and visualization in Python
Prerequisites: To allow for coverage of more advanced R topics, we require that participants be familiar with R and RStudio. Participants should be familiar with creating new projects, loading data, modifying data types, exploring data, subsetting data, and simple plotting functions.
For times and locations of upcoming CSCU workshops, please see the Workshop Schedule.